Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I see what my user uploaded?
There a multiple reason why you could experience this issue:
- The user does not have a storage Quota set:
When you create a user and leave then storage quota section blank, you are giving them access to uploading into their own “/” folder which is their private workspace. To fix this issue, we recommend sharing a folder with the user and setting a “0 GB” storage quota which will make it impossible for them to upload into their “/” folder and also restrict them in the shared folder.
- The user has more than 0GB storage quota set:
When you create a user and set a storage quota of more than 0GB, you are giving them access to uploading into their own “/” folder which is their private workspace. To fix this issue, we recommend sharing a folder with the user and setting a “0 GB” storage quota which will make it impossible for them to upload into their “/” folder and also restrict them in the shared folder.
Why am I getting Quota error when it says I have storage?
When a user has 0GB storage quota set in their account and they are trying to upload into their “/” folder instead of the folder their admin gave them access to, the admin will get this error. To fix this, the admin needs to share a folder with the user and ask them to only upload into the shared folder.
Do I need to share the main folder if the user only needs to see the folder in the main folder?
User are only able to see the folder you shared with them. Let’s say folder B is inside folder A and you want to share folder B. You can share folder B with the user and the user will be able to see only folder B even though they don’t have access to folder A.
What is the difference between users and contacts
What is a Contact?
A contact is a person that you mail to and/or share folders with. Contacts are created automatically when you send mail to them. When sending mail click the “To” button to select from your existing contacts. This makes sending large files easy and accessible for all your external clients, recipients and vendors. Contacts belong to the system and are not managed by an admin.
Contacts are managed from the Contacts page:
1. To manually create a new contact click “Add a new contact” from the menu
2. To edit an existing contact, click the contact you want to edit, update as needed, and then click “Save”
3. To delete an existing contact, click the contact you want to delete and then click “Delete this contact” from the menu.
What is a User?
A User is a username created by an administrator, this username can be either a custom username or an email address. Users are created on the Users tab and the admin is able to manage their username/password and individual settings. If empowered by an admin a user can be given account resources and the ability to share folders or send/receive mail. A user can also be restricted and only given access to a designated directory depending on the use case. In an Enterprise level account, a user can be promoted to Operational admin or Group admin status. Users belong to the account and can be managed by an admin.
Users are managed from the Users page:
1. To manually create a new user click “Add” to invite a user via email address or click “Add username” to create a custom username/password.
2. To edit an existing user, click the user you want to edit, update as needed, and then click “Save”
3. To delete an existing user, click the user you want to delete and then click “Delete user” from the menu.
I’m not getting email notifications.
If you are not getting our email notifications, there are multiple solutions to this:
- Our email might be going into your spam/junk folder.
- You need to whitelist our email server on your end. To do this, please see this link
Managed user not getting a password reset email?
If a user is not getting their password reset link, this could be because of 2 reasons:
- The user is a managed user. Only the admin can reset the password of a managed user as managed users don’t have permission to modify their account.
- The user needs to whitelist our email server on their end. To do this, please see this link
Reviewing account resources/usage
The account admin can check the resources and usage under the account page or they can click on the usage notification at the top right of the web portal to view your usage details. Please see this link for more information
How to rename a shared folder?
An administrator or a user can change or rename the name of a shared folder.
- If the admin wishes to rename the share, they can change the name on the Share screen, remove the user, click save, re-add the user and save again. Upon next login the user will see the change reflected on the shared folder.
Please note that if the admin only changes the name of a shared folder, it will not change the name of the share
- A user can click on a shared folder and click on the rename folder option on the right side, select a new name for the shared folder and then click save.
Please note if a user changes the share name this would have no impact on the original folder name that appears on the Files tab of the owners account.
Can my user change the shared folder name?
Yes, a user can rename a shared folder
- A user can click on a shared folder and click on the rename folder option on the left side, select a new name for the shared folder and then click save.
Please note this would have no impact on the original folder name that appears on the Files tab of the owners account.
How do I change my credit card?
The account admin can change the credit card at any time on the Account tab. Once on the Account tab click the Change or Renew button which will take you to the payment screen. Once on the payment screen you can select your bundle and payment period and any Promo code you might have and click the Purchase button. On the purchase screen you will asked for an email and this is where the receipt will go, enter your card information and click Pay.
How do I upgrade to the next bundle?
The administrator can upgrade to the next bundle at any time. To upgrade to the next bundle
- Navigate to the Account tab and click the Change button on the lower left side.
- On the next screen select your new bundle and the payment period (Annual payment save 25%) and enter in any promo code that may have been offered on a webinar.
- When ready click the Purchase button at the bottom of the screen where you will asked for an email address which is the address the receipt will be sent to
- Enter your card information and click Pay. Once you see a Success message the new bundle features/metrics will be unlocked immediately.
Please see this link for more detail.
Can I set a default folder / default folder using SFTP
Yes, the admin or end user can set a default folder for each user on that users profile. Please note the process is different based on whether the user is using FTP/FTPS or SFTP.
- To set a default folder navigate to the Users tab and click on the user you want to set the default folder for. Scroll down to the Options section and check the Default FTP folder box and enter in the name of the folder that the user needs to start in.
- With SFTP you will need to specify the target folder or “Default remote directory” on the end user side for all SFTP clients and automated system setups. When distributing credentials for users who will use SFTP we recommend you also include the name of the target folder so they can enter it into the SFTP software upon initial configuration.
Why does my IP change once in a while? / Is there a list of server IP’s I can whitelist?
When connecting with a hostname (ftp.hostedftp.com, ftp.yourcompany.com) our Hosted~FTP~ infrastructure uses dynamic routing to connect you to the fastest server. Typically this will be the server closest to you but may change if another nearby server has a faster ping response time. If your organization requires server IP’s to be whitelisted you can find a list of all our IP addresses here.
We recommend whitelisting all the IP addresses closest to you, please note you can also connect to a specific server directly by IP address.